Thursday, January 29, 2009

Landon saves the day!

I'm sitting here, contemplating my day, wondering what to "blog" about. (I just noticed that I put the word "blog" in quotes a lot, either on paper or with real, live, finger waggling air quotes. I won't apologize about it nor will I change it....yet. It's a reflection of how I feel about "blogging". Maybe when I become a real, live "blogger" I will do so. Until then, I guess this "blog" impostor will just keep finger waggling!!)
-ON WITH THE STORY!!
Let's see....Highlights of my day!
First, my good and forgiving friend came over for a play date ( I will get to the forgiving part soon enough).
I think play dates are my new thing! With this stinkin' economy stomping all over me and mine, Lord knows, my wallet could use a break from the constant and demanding "outings" that Landon and I take on a daily basis!
Bein' da hard wookin', slavin' muddas that we is, we spent da day playin' scrabble whilst the chillins played out yonda. (I know, can you BELIEVE we could attempt it, with that language?)
Now, mind you, I absolutely MUST play with a stimulant of choice (legal of course). That is the only way that my brain kicks on. (For some reason, the day I had Landon, any and all brain function ceased to exist.)
Now my friend ain't no dummy. She puts up a good fight! (she also has some wicked mind reading skill and knows just where to put her tiles to screw my game up!!) But I ain't done half bad either!!!! I swear....maybe, just maybe my medulla oblongata (don't think I spelled that one right, though. Oh well, spell check didn't get it either, so who's the dummy now?!) might be dusting itself off and turning on the juice again!
It's a nice feeling to discover I still have a brain in that cavern up there.
Well, long after they'd gone....
I was hanging around the house, paying bills and doing other housewifely things when I get a phone call at 6pm.
A flippin' reminder of the homeowners board meeting!!!-at 7p.m.!!!!
So, freak out, I did!
Landon had just woke up from his nap and he was a little grumpy (to be expected). I had no sitter. I wasn't prepared!
I needed to feed the kid, change, find a sitter, tell the kid that I wasn't going to be there that evening!!!! And all in about half hour..by the time I finally settled down enough to think straight.
Luckily my friend came to my rescue and took Landon for the evening.
So, I'm running around like an idiot, practically throwing dinner at him, telling him to eat another bite every two seconds- between trips from my closet to the kitchen to make sure he hadn't picked THAT EXACT MOMENT to choke on a tidbit of food, telling him to get shoes & coat on, does he have to potty?, Does he need a drink, etc.; Landon remained CALM!
I couldn't believe it. My baby boy, who normally has a toy finding emergency every time we leave the house, cooperated.
The best part is what happened when I picked him up this evening. I put him in the car.
Strapped him down.
I took his little face in my hands and stroked his little cheek and told him "thank you for being such a helpful and behaving boy tonight, I'm so proud of you and you made this evening go so much better!"
Do you know what my 3 year old said to me?
He took my face in his little hands, stroked my little cheek and said "thank you mommy, you did so good tonight, too. I'm so proud of you!" Then he gave me a wet, sloppy kiss.
It's moments like that, that really stick in your head.
I'm soooo glad that for once, I chose to encourage him to get off his hiney and get ready with positive language instead of the more negative verbiage that I normally use. (if you don't, then I'm gonna)
Hopefully, next time I will remember this lesson. And give my son credit, where credit is due.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww I love it when we're clued in to yet another parenting secret! I know I need them now and then ;)
That must have been SOME friend, let me tell ya!

Amanda Miller said...

Ohhh yeah! Sriously a GREAT friend......Love yer ta death....but....her feet kinda stink! I don't know if I should tell her or not? LOL!